You may have heard of anabolic steroids, which can have harmful effects. But there’s another type of steroid – sometimes called a corticosteroid – that treats a variety of problems. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
These steroids are similar to hormones that your adrenal glands make to fight stress associated with illnesses and injuries. They reduce inflammation and affect the immune system.
You may need to take corticosteroids to treat:
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus and multiple sclerosis
- Skin conditions such as eczema and rashes
- Some kinds of cancer
Steroids are strong medicines, and they can have side effects, including weakened bones and cataracts. Because of this, you usually take them for as short a time as possible.
How do I stop oral steroids?. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
If you have taken a short course of 1-2 weeks of an oral steroid, you can simply stop taking the tablets at the end of the course.
When not to stop taking oral steroids suddenly. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
Do not stop taking oral steroids suddenly if you have been taking them for more than three weeks. It probably does no harm to forget the odd dose.
However, you may have serious withdrawal effects once your body is used to the steroids. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
These may develop within a few days if you stop oral steroids suddenly. Any change in dose should be supervised by a doctor. Any reductions in dose are done slowly, over a number of weeks. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
Your body normally makes steroid chemicals by itself which are necessary to be healthy. When you take oral steroids for a few weeks or more, your body may reduce or stop making its own steroid chemicals.
If you then stop taking oral steroids suddenly, your body does not have any steroids. This can cause various withdrawal symptoms until your body resumes making natural steroids over a few weeks.
The withdrawal symptoms can be serious, even life-threatening and include: buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
- Feeling sick (nausea).
- Being sick (vomiting).
- Tummy (abdominal) pain.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia).
- Low blood pressure (hypotension) which can cause dizziness, fainting or collapse.
If the dose is reduced gradually, the body gradually resumes its natural production of steroids and the withdrawal symptoms do not occur.
Some other important points about oral steroids. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
- Do not take anti-inflammatory painkillers (such as ibuprofen) whilst taking steroids (unless advised by a doctor). The two together increase the risk of a stomach or duodenal ulcer developing.
- Most people who take regular steroids carry a steroid card which should be provided by the person who prescribes or supplies your medicine, and/or they wear a medical emergency identification bracelet or equivalent.
- This gives details of your dose, your condition, etc, in case of emergencies. For example, if you were knocked unconscious in an accident, it is important that the doctors know that you take steroids and need to take them regularly. buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
- The dose of steroid may need to be increased for a short time if you are ill with other conditions. For example, if you have a serious infection, or have an operation. This is because you need more steroids during physical stress.
- See a doctor if you have any concerns about your steroid treatment.
Can I take other medicines when I am taking steroids? buy Norditropin Simplexx 30iu 1.5 ml
Potentially, many other medicines can ‘interact’ with oral steroids. This means the steroid could affect how they work, either resulting in the other medicine being ineffective, or having more side-effects than usual.
Or they can interact the other way around, with the other medicine affecting the corticosteroid. Doses may have to be adjusted accordingly in order for both medicines to be taken together.